Explanation of Terms/Categories used
These reports record "incidents", which we define as an act or event directed at a specified target. All incidents are related to press freedom or freedom of expression. This does not include acts of policy related to the media or free expression, which which aims to control actions related to the media or free expression.Incident - indicates the type of act or event described in the report.
- Abduction/Disappearance – the victim is forcible taken and whereabouts is unknown
- Arrest /Detention - to take
into official custody, whether for specific charges or not. Includes
questioning. Prevent liberty of movement.
- Accused/Sued - Indictment for a
criminal case or filing of civil suit, whether arrested or not
- Attack - a physical attack on a
victim, whether or not resulting in injury
- Banning/Closure – a person or
organization is permanently prevented from engaging in the profession/activity.
Includes dismissal from work
- Censorship – to prevent an
article/issue from publication, program/show from broadcast, speech from
- Killed – death from murder or
- Obstruction (news) - prevent news
- Obstruction (activity) – prevent
participation in an activity; prevent an activity from happening
- Sentenced – to be found guilty of a crime and imprisoned. Also includes suspended sentence.
- Suspension – temporary closure of a media entity or temporary ban from work.
- Threat (harassment) - Verbal or
written threats to person, usually to coerce or intimidate. Also harassment
- Other – for other acts not listed above, please specify.
- Person – the target is a
- Organization/company – the
target of the act is a group, organization or company.
- Activity - the target is an activity.
- Media – Online – includes media
primarily online news and blogs
- Media – Print – media is primarily
- Media – Radio – media is
- Media – Television – media is
- Civil Society - non-media targets including activist, political or religious groups
- Unaffiliated - targets who are not acting as a media professional or with/in behalf of a group.